This blog contains notes and highlights from a busy life of research, teaching and administration mainly carried out at my desk on Manawatu campus, or en route somewhere, or at home.
Works on this site licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-No Derivative Works 2.0 UK: England & Wales Licence.
All views are my own personal views, not those of any institution I work for, past, present or future.
And a quick overview:
I have two decades of academic experience, joining Massey University’s School of Management as Professor of Entrepreneurship and Innovation in 2014. Prior to that I was at the Russell Group University of Southampton’s School of Management from 2004 to undertake campus-wide strategic developments in entrepreneurship and innovation research and teaching. Before Southampton, I was doing the same at Loughborough (2002-4). Prior to that, I worked at Humberside/Lincoln Universities, doing a lot with international programmes. I’ve summarised some key areas below, but for me it’s about: bottom-up not top-down; co-creation & collaboration; creation, not destruction; experimentation, play & humour.
- A mature research position supported by over 70 peer-reviewed publications, with over 1100 google citations (I have had achievements entered in every REF/RAE since it began), funded projects (research councils, industry and internal), research leadership and a wide network of contacts.
- 20 years experience working in a technology/innovation/management environment, in UK educational institutions (research/teaching/consultancy), with extensive teaching, curriculum development and course management experience, including the development of entrepreneurship and innovation curricula (UG/PG/MBA) in (largely) greenfield sites (Massey, Loughborough and Southampton) incorporating best practice from USA (MIT, NCSU, San Diego).
- Postgraduate qualifications in science, technology and education/post-experience qualification in entrepreneurship MIT Entrepreneurship Development Programme9 years experience working with incubators, spin-out companies, SMEs and technology transfer offices in New Zealand (the BCC and the E-centre at Massey in New Zealand) and leading UK universities (Loughborough, Southampton and overseas), in a wide range of sectors – high tech, creative industries, digital media, service sector, public sector, large and small companies.
- 5 years establishing and running two small businesses, plus Non-Exec Director of thriving Yorkshire company
- Extensive network of contacts in UK,US, Europe and Asia through UK-SEC, HEIF, SETSQUARED, ISBE, BAM, CMI, Sloane Management School (MIT), North Carolina State University, University of San Diego, EMN Normandie, University of Porto, IMSciences Peshawar, TUSUR, Tomsk, Ryerson University, Toronto.